How to record and analyze CAN bus communication with HTG tuning GCU and IO CAN.
GCU CANdump #
All of HTG tuning products have CAN dump functionality that allows recording of incoming CAN bus traffic.
This function is built in the HTG tuning SUITE
To collect CAN dump follow this steps :
- Open HTG tuning SUITE and connect to the device
- If needed setup proper CAN bus speed in General Settings.
- Under Device tab access CAN dump function.
- We strongly recommend using it only with stationary vehicle. Even though CAN dump feature does not stop GCU main functionality it may disrupt CAN bus outgoing stream stability.
- After starting CAN dump it’s being saved in HTG DATA folder (File -> Open HTG DATA folder).
- When finished STOP CANdump function.
How to make proper CAN dump for dev team? #
We’re very open to adding new CAN bus presets for HTG IO CAN and HTG GCU and to make it happen we need to have reference stream recorded. Please check below instructions on how to prepare proper CAN dump procedure.
CAN dump methods #
Depending on exact case and device that You have You can:
- Tap into CAN bus lines
- This is simpliest and most commonly used method
- No need to install or enable additional termination for working bus
- Records stacked communication without IN and OUT separation of the devices
- Gate CAN bus (in-line connection):
- Advanced and detailed method
- IO CAN or GCU have to be installed in-line meaning that original CAN bus has to be cut and HTG has to be installed in the “middle”
- May require termination installation / configuration
- Records directional CAN bus communication and in normal IO gateway operation mode allows modification of the stream. REQUIRES routing to be enabled.
What to record for full CAN dump? #
Let’s say that You have already connected HTG device and verified that traffic works properly. Here is what You can do to get handful of data. If You can record video in the same time with onboard camera with comments it can help with decoding of the bus remotely.
- Make sure that vehicle goes to full sleep mode (no major traffic active)
- Start CAN DUMP
- Switch ignition ON.
- Play with throttle pedal, brake pedal, gear selector if possible, switches. Flip each couple of times.
- Start the engine and let it idle for some time until it settles RPM
- Engage each mode consecutively with small pause in between. Then dwitch to D mode and start driving.
- During the drive focus on prosenting each possible scenario – slow driving, sporty, hard driving, manual shifting, going to sport modes etc.
- Overall the longer recording that covers more scenarios the better it is.
- When You’re done come to a stop, stop the engine, switch IGN off and wait minut or two to allow car to go to sleep.
- Stop CAN dump.